Monday, May 10, 2010

o man, not again

being a man would be easier. i've said it before and i'll say it again and again and again and i'll always be right. the world tells me that i can do anything a man can do, that we have the same opportunities as women and can achieve just as much (even more!) than men. well, i'm not Oprah or Martha or Madonna for that matter. the world does not look at me and see intelligence and character. oh sure sure, after getting to know me the world might get that look in his (yes the world is a man) eye and give me a curt nod and a jab on the shoulder and say "you're alright kiddo and you're one talented human". but at first glance, the world (being male) looks at me and sees a single working woman on her feet in heels for six or seven hours every day serving and selling wine for a living. the heels are for my benefit, not yours, o dear world...but that's not the point. the point i'm trying to make is that being a man would be easier and here is my most recent (among many) illustrations as to why: amid the bustle of a busy night at the wine bar with my male co-worker i overhear a couple as they are leaving their first visit with us ask my partner in crime "so, is this place yours?" and he replies to the negative. i look over in time to see them briefly glance at me and then continue to tell him how much they love it and then they are gone. this is not the first time. this is not the second time. i've actually lost count. for the record i've worked there the longest and poured so much of myself into that store that i feel as though i could call it mine and have it not be a lie. but i'm a woman. it couldn't possibly be my store, could it world?

for the record, when i tell my male friends that its so much easier being a man...they never disagree.

...R...


2 comments:

  1. i've had that discussion with men too, and they always sort of start disagreeing but they get this smug little smile as they do like they know inside that its true but still feel can't bring themselves to admit it. i mean, just admit it already, then at least we can agree on something...for once

    ReplyDelete