Sunday, May 16, 2010

birthday number 28

yesterday morning i woke up in a unusually fantastic mood. let me just fill you in on my morning attitude on work days. i get up at 6:30. am. i make it to work without too much drama but as soon as social interaction is introduced the attitude shows up and you might as well just not talk to me till at least 10:00 unless you are one of three people only one of which works in my office. that one person is my boss and she is excluded from the crabby attitude only because of her status as my immediate supervisor and also she is usually way too sweet for me to be mean to...not always though so its a good thing she is so understanding. let me put it this way, at one of our monthly staff meetings a new person commented "oh leah i didn't know you weren't a morning person" to something i said or did, well the entire room burst out in laughter that it took them so long to realize. anyway, back to yesterday. i was really happy, in fact i have a suspicion that the recent refill of my thyroid medicine might have been the culprit because i magically have more refills, like maybe my doctor told them next time i reorder to change the amount. i know it wasn't due to coffee because i hadn't had any yet. this good mood lasted until exactly 11:45 when my wonderful husband (who really had no intention of ruining my day really) informed me that he would be working on my birthday...the day we were suppose to be leaving for vacation and getting somewhere in time for me to do something to celebrate. i know he didn't have a choice and he really did do his best to leave as early as he could (2am) so he could get back as soon as possible. still that meant that i would be spending the majority of my birthday home alone probably cleaning and packing. so the rest of the day was spent in an equally opposite amount of serious depression. i did my best not to take it out on people (unsuccessfully) and went to bed fairly early taking melatonin to speed up the process.

so this morning i slept as long as i could which turned out to be around 8:30 unfortunately. i decided i would make the best of it. after all it was my birthday and what is my favorite thing? saturday mornings when i can get up slowly, alone, and do whatever i want. so to start things off i caught up on a few blogs (thank you very much jill and appocalipstic for having such entertaining things for me to read) that put me in a better mood. soon i was getting birthday wishes from family and that helped quite a bit too. i decided as a birthday present to myself i would buy myself some michael jackson songs. what you say? how does a person go through 28 years of life without owning one michael jackson song? i dont' know how that happened but it was remedied this morning and soon i was dancing around my house cleaning and singing along with smooth criminal and don't stop till you get enough. this inspired me to make a birthday playlist which included these and other songs that have taken me through life like prince, faith no more, feist, heartless bastards, and dragonette, along with lots of others that generally put me in a good mood. so by the time we were ready to leave i was actually having a decent day. so off we went to boise (i know, why, well its something i we both wanted to do and i won't try explaining but i'm actually pretty excited about it) a playlist called birthday number 28 playing over the speakers, straight through the middle of nowhere (i think that is the actual name of the middle of oregon) to the mountains and back out again to arrive in the city losing an hour that i will get back on a day that is not my birthday so i might have to take an hour of another day to finish things up. we headed to our motel where a duck was hanging out in the check in area for some reason and the guy behind the desk who's phone rings with some r&b song asked us if we were the last ones to check in. i said...as in...ever? he laughed and said he only meant the last ones with reservations. so here we are, an unknown adventure spreading out in front of us.

i guess in the end i can't expect other people to make as big of a deal out of birthdays as i do. its important to me and as a child i was always made to feel so special and loved by my family that i guess i just expected other people would have had those same sorts of experiences and want to do the same thing as they got older. but in reality, no they don't. today i learned that i could make it special all on my own with a little help from distant family and friends wishing me happiness.

something learned this year

don't count your chickens before they hatch and probably you should wait until after they are sexed because probably they are not all chickens and you most likely don't want a chicken coop full of roosters...actually unless you just don't like sleep at all you probably won't want any roosters.

L.

2 comments:

  1. i wish i'd been there to dance around to MJ with you. why didn't you TELL me you didn't have any i would have been emailing you those songs long long ago! i'm glad you took control of your own happiness. i think this makes you a grown up (but dont worry you get to act like a kid as long as you want).

    i love you!!!

    ...R...

    p.s. stop getting older because it keeps forcing me to get older as we aren't allowed to be the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish you had been there too, you would have gotten a good laugh :) i look ridiculous when i dance around my house.

    L.

    ReplyDelete